Energy Acuity, a leading provider of power generation and power delivery market intelligence, has been tracking and monitoring renewable projects and companies in New York since 2008. Below are the Top 10 Renewable Energy Companies in New York by Capacity (MW). This list has been exported from the Renewable Platform, inside of the Energy Acuity Product Suite.
What Does “In New York” Mean?
When we say, “in New York“, we’re referring to the amount of Pre-Construction, Under Construction and/or Operating capacity (MW) in New York. Although some of these companies are headquartered in New York and most have offices in the region, this was not an attribute that we considered when analyzing renewable power generation in this area. Essentially, these companies are the ‘most active’ and influential in adding renewable projects to New York’s energy mix.
Top 10 Renewable Energy Companies in New York by Capacity (MW) List View
*Continue scrolling for Renewable Project Breakdowns, Descriptions, and Notable Company Information.
1.) EDF Renewable Energy
3.) Avangrid Renewables
5.) EDP Renewables North America
6.) NextEra Energy Resources
8.) Apex Clean Energy
9.) Noble Environmental Power
Looking For Accurate & Granular Renewable Energy Information?
EDF Renewable Energy Company Description
EDF Renewables North America is an independent power producer and service provider specializing in renewable energy. The Company is currently headquartered in San Diego, CA, and offers Grid-Scale Power, Distributed Solutions, and Asset Optimization.
- As the largest provider of third-party O&M in North America, EDF’s O&M team services over 5,230 wind turbines, 45+ different equipment types, and almost 1,970 solar inverters, which generate over 10GW of electricity.
- As of June 30th, 2019, EDF’s gross installed capacity amounted to 12,468MW worldwide, with net installed capacity standing at 7,971MW and gross capacity under construction at 4,054MW.
- EDF Renewables has over 3,850+ employees, 12GW+ gross installed, 4GW+ gross under-construction and 2018 consolidated revenues of €1,675M ( ≈ $1,826M USD).
Invenergy Company Description:
Invenergy and its affiliated companies develop, own, and operate large-scale renewable and other clean energy generation and storage facilities in the Americas, Europe, and Asia. Invenergy’s home office is located in Chicago and it has regional development offices in the United States, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, and Poland. Invenergy and its affiliated companies have developed more than 22,600MW of projects that are in operation, construction or contracted, including wind, solar, natural gas-fueled power generation and energy storage projects.
- With more than 100 projects in development or operation across the U.S., Canada, Europe, Japan, and Latin America, Invenergy is leveraging innovative design and next-generation technology to create a new paradigm for energy production.
- Invenergy’s wind, solar and natural gas project portfolio totals over 7,897MW — and has led to 58.6 million tons of avoided CO2 emissions.
- Invenergy’s renewable contribution is the equivalent of 4.9 million cars off the road annually, 111 million tons of carbon dioxide being offset or 2.5 billion trees being planted.
- More than 10 percent of Invenergy employees are military veterans.
Avangrid Renewables Company Description:
Avangrid Renewables is a subsidiary of AVANGRID (NYSE: AGR) and part of the IBERDROLA Group. IBERDROLA, S.A. is an energy pioneer with one of the largest renewable asset bases of any company in the world, with more than 14,000MW of renewable energy spread across a dozen countries. Avangrid Renewables, LLC is headquartered in Portland, Oregon, and has more than $10 billion of operating assets totaling more than 6,000MW of owned and controlled wind and solar generation in more than 20 states. A company with a 150-year history, Iberdrola S.A. employs more than 28,000 people in nearly 40 countries and has placed the environment and sustainable development at the center of its global strategy.
- Avangrid Renewables is already generating power from nearly 60 renewable energy projects for its utility-scale customers in the United States.
- Avangrid serves about 3.1 million customers throughout upstate New York and New England in the United States.
- In 2017, Avangrid donated $2 million to the Connecticut Hydrogen and Electric Automobile Purchase Rebate program.
- In 2018, Avangrid held an “electric vehicle fair” for its employees, making it possible for all employees to purchase electric vehicles if they chose to.
Equinor Company Description
Equinor, headquartered in Rogaland, Norway, is a broad energy company with a proud history. Equinor boasts 20,000 committed colleagues developing oil, gas, wind and solar energy in more than 30 countries worldwide. They are the largest operator in Norway, one of the world’s largest offshore operators, and a growing force in renewables. Driven by their Nordic urge to explore beyond the horizon and dedication to safety, equality, and sustainability, Equinor is developing the energy of the future.
- As of 2017, the Government of Norway is the largest shareholder of Equinor with 67% of the shares, while the rest is public stock.
- Equinor owns 50% stake in the Polish 1,200MW Bałtyk Środkowy III and Bałtyk Środkowy II offshore wind farms as well as 50% stake in the 385MW Arkona wind farm offshore in Germany.
- For the fiscal year 2017, Equinor reported earnings of $4.590 billion USD, with an annual revenue of $61.187 billion USD, an increase of 33.4% over the previous fiscal cycle.
- The name Equinor was adopted in 2018 and is formed by combining “equi,” the root for words such as equal, equality and equilibrium, and “nor,” indicating that the company is of Norwegian origin.
EDP Renewables N.A. Company Description:
EDP Renewables North America LLC (“EDPR NA”) and its subsidiaries develop, construct, own and operate wind farms and solar parks throughout North America. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, with 48 wind farms, 5 solar parks, and 13 regional and development offices across North America, EDPR NA has developed more than 6,700 MW and operates more than 6,100 MW of renewable energy projects. EDPR NA is owned by EDP Renováveis, S.A. (EDPR).
- EDP Renewables North America ranks 4th in the United States in terms of net installed capacity, has more than 2,300 turbines in operation and more than 40 million hours of wind turbine operational history.
- EDP Renewables North America operates 49 wind farms across the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- EDPR NA expanded its solar presence in December 2017 with the commissioning of Cameron, Estill, and Hampton Solar Parks in South Carolina. Each site has an installed capacity of 20 MW, powering more than 15,000 homes.
NextEra Energy Resources Company Description:
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is a leading clean energy company with consolidated revenues of approximately $17.2 billion, operates approximately 46,790 megawatts of net generating capacity and employs approximately 14,000 people in 33 states and Canada as of year-end 2017. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Florida, NextEra Energy’s principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company, which serves approximately 5 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the United States, and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun and a world leader in battery storage. Through its subsidiaries, NextEra Energy generates clean, emissions-free electricity from eight commercial nuclear power units in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa, and Wisconsin.
- NextEra Energy Resources operates more than 17,000MW of wind and solar generation in North America.
- NextEra Energy Resources has invested more than $20 billion in clean and renewable technologies.
- As of December 2017, NextEra Energy Resources has wind facilities located in 21 states in the U.S. and 4 provinces in Canada, primarily located throughout Texas, the Western and Midwestern regions of the U.S. and Canada.
- Current pre-construction, under construction and operating capacity total over 17GW.
innogy Company Description:
innogy is Germany’s leading energy company, with a revenue of around €43 billion (2017), more than 42,000 employees and activities in 15 countries across Europe. With its three business segments Grid & Infrastructure, Retail, and Renewables, innogy addresses the requirements of a modern, decarbonized, decentralized and digital energy world. innogy activities focus on their 22 million customers, and on offering them innovative and sustainable products and services that enable them to use energy more efficiently and improve quality of life. The key markets are Germany, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and Belgium, as well as several countries in Central Eastern and South-Eastern Europe, especially the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland.
- For over 20 years innogy has been developing, building and operating onshore wind farms in Germany, Great Britain, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain, and Italy.
- In October 2018, the subsidiary of the United States, innogy eMobility US, announced the acquisition of California based Recargo, an electric mobility software company. Recargo produces the popular PlugShare platform that helps EV drivers find public charging stations.
- innogy and it’s subsidiaries operate one of the largest charging points networks in Europe, which includes 7,000 charging points in over twenty countries.
- In March 2018, it was announced that E.ON will acquire Innogy, in a complex deal of assets swap with RWE.
Apex Clean Energy Company Description
Apex Clean Energy is an independent renewable energy company based in Charlottesville, VA. Since its founding in 2009, Apex has become one of the fastest-growing companies in the industry. In December 2012, Apex completed the development and construction of the 300MW Canadian Hills Wind project outside Oklahoma City. The company has a diversified portfolio of wind energy facilities in development around the country and owns several operating solar PV assets. The company’s management team comprises experts from throughout the industry whose collective prior experience includes the development, financing, construction, and operation of over $10 billion USD in wind and solar energy facilities now operating in the United States.
- Apex Clean Energy boasts 2,867MW clean energy in operations, 5,027MW clean energy financed, and 1,783MW of clean energy under management.
- With 13 facilities complete, Apex has invested over $7B in clean energy opportunities.
- In September 2019, Ares and Apex Announced Renewable PPA with facebook. The contract with Aviator Wind will help the tech company—the largest corporate purchaser of renewable energy in 2018—reach its goal to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 75% and support 100% of its operations with renewable energy in 2020.
Noble Environmental Power Company Description
Noble Environmental Power is a leading renewable energy company with a 726MW generation portfolio. Noble was founded in 2004 in response to growing demand for clean, renewable sources of energy. The Noble Environmental Power team is comprised of talented and seasoned professionals that operate and maintain their state-of-the-art wind parks in New York and Texas.
- On September 5, 2018, The Carlyle Group announced the acquisition of a 612 MW merchant wind portfolio in New York and a dedicated operations platform from Noble Environmental Power.
- The portfolio currently produces 29% of New York State’s wind power and represents the largest wind portfolio in the state.
- This transaction demonstrates the significant demand for wind projects in liquid power markets with high barriers to entry for new-build renewables.
Orsted Company Description:
Orsted (FKA DONG Energy) is one of the leading energy groups in Northern Europe and headquartered in Denmark. Over 6,700 employees, including over 850 in the UK, are dedicated to developing, constructing and operating offshore wind farms; generating power and heat from their power stations; providing energy to residential and business customers on a daily basis; and producing oil and gas.
- Ørsted is the largest power producer in Denmark with market shares of 49% for electricity production and 35% for heat production.
- Ørsted is the largest offshore wind farm company in the world with a market share of over 16%.
- Ørsted is the largest shareholder (51%) of offshore wind turbine installer GeoSea (formerly known as A2SEA), while Siemens owns the other 49%.
- According to a political agreement, the Danish Government shall maintain majority ownership in the company until 2025; Reduction of the ownership below 50% requires the political agreement of Danish parties.
Source: Energy Acuity Renewable Platform
“Energy Acuity Helps Us Prioritize The Targeting Of Prospects” — Sales Development Manager
Energy Acuity (EA) is the leading provider of power generation and power delivery market intelligence. Founded in 2008, EA was built on the principle that essential energy market research could be conducted and presented more efficiently than the traditional third-party data providers.
EA’s unique approach merges primary research, public resource aggregation, web monitoring and expert analysis that is delivered through a simple, dynamic online platform. This allows our clients to focus on actionable information and win business over the competition.
Eliminate research time and accurately assess the market with Energy Acuity’s Renewables Platform!