Energy Acuity, a leading provider of power generation and power delivery market intelligence, has been tracking and monitoring renewable projects and companies in Texas since 2008. Below are the Top 10 Renewable Energy Companies in Texas by Capacity (MW). This list has been exported from the Renewable Platform, inside of the Energy Acuity Product Suite.
What Does “In Texas” Mean?
When we say, “in Texas“, we’re referring to the amount of Pre-Construction, Under Construction and/or Operating capacity (MW) in Texas. Although some of these companies are headquartered in Texas and most have offices in the region, this was not an attribute that we considered when analyzing renewable power generation in this area. Essentially, these companies are the ‘most active’ and influential in adding renewable projects to Texas’s energy mix.
Top 10 Renewable Energy Companies in Texas by Capacity (MW) List View
*Continue scrolling for Renewable Project Breakdowns, Descriptions, and Notable Company Information.
1.) E.ON Climate & Renewables N.A.
2.) NextEra Energy Resources
4.) Lincoln Clean Energy
5.) Apex Clean Energy
6.) Pioneer Green Energy
7.) SunChase Power
8.) RES Americas
9.) EDF Renewable Energy
10.) Tri Global Energy
Looking For Accurate & Granular Renewable Energy Information?
E.ON Climate & Renewables N.A. Company Description
E.ON Climate & Renewables North America (E.ON) is a leading renewable energy company headquartered in Chicago, IL, with wind headquarters in Austin, TX and global solar headquarters in San Francisco, CA. E.ON Climate & Renewables North America is a subsidiary of E.ON SE, one of the world’s largest energy companies, and the largest investor-owned utility in the world. E.ON possesses the financial strength, expertise and commitment to meet the growing demand for safe and reliable renewable energy. With almost 300 U.S. employees, they are creating tomorrow’s energy sources today. Tapping renewable energy sources offers enormous alternatives, both from a business perspective and for the environment. E.ON Climate & Renewables has already invested €9 billion ($12.3 billion USD) in renewable energy projects and will continue to expand the share of renewable energy in E.ON’s power generation portfolio. E.ON has thus taken a leading role in developing renewable energy sources worldwide.
- E.ON operates in over 30 countries and serves over 33 million customers.
- In 2019, E.ON became the first of the “big six” UK power companies to switch all of its British electricity customers entirely to renewable electricity.
- E.ON is one of the major public utility companies in Europe and the world’s largest investor-owned energy service provider.
- In March 2018, it was announced that E.ON would acquire renewable energy utility Innogy through a complex €43 billion asset swap deal between E.ON, Innogy and RWE.
- E.ON is a component of the Euro Stoxx 50 stock market index, DAX stock index and a member of the Dow Jones Global Titans 50 index.
NextEra Energy Resources Company Description
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is a leading clean energy company with consolidated revenues of approximately $17.2 billion, operates approximately 46,790 megawatts of net generating capacity and employs approximately 14,000 people in 33 states and Canada as of year-end 2017. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Florida, NextEra Energy’s principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company, which serves approximately 5 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the United States, and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun and a world leader in battery storage. Through its subsidiaries, NextEra Energy generates clean, emissions-free electricity from eight commercial nuclear power units in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa, and Wisconsin.
- NextEra Energy Resources operates more than 17,000 megawatts of wind and solar generation in North America.
- NextEra Energy Resources has invested more than $20 billion in clean and renewable technologies.
- As of December 2017, NextEra Energy Resources has wind facilities located in 21 states in the U.S. and 4 provinces in Canada, primarily located throughout Texas, the Western and Midwestern regions of the U.S. and Canada.
- Current pre-construction, under construction and operating capacity total over 17 gigawatts.
Invenergy Company Description
Invenergy and its affiliated companies develop, own, and operate large-scale renewable and other clean energy generation as well as storage facilities in the Americas, Europe, and Asia. Invenergy’s home office is located in Chicago and it has regional development offices in the United States, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, and Poland. Invenergy and its affiliated companies have developed more than 22,600 megawatts of projects that are in operation, construction or contracted, including wind, solar, natural gas-fueled power generation and energy storage projects.
- With more than 100 projects in development or operation across the U.S., Canada, Europe, Japan, and Latin America, Invenergy is leveraging innovative design and next-generation technology to create a new paradigm for energy production.
- Invenergy’s wind, solar and natural gas project portfolio totals over 7,897 megawatts — and has led to 58.6 million tons of avoided CO2 emissions.
- Invenergy’s renewable contribution is the equivalent of 4.9 million cars off the road annually, 111 million tons of carbon dioxide being offset or 2.5 billion trees being planted.
- More than 10 percent of Invenergy employees are military veterans.
Lincoln Clean Energy Company Description
Lincoln Clean Energy (LCE) is a leading developer of U.S. wind and solar projects with offices in Chicago, IL and Austin, TX. Since 2011, LCE has developed over 1,000 megawatts of renewable power projects in California, New Jersey, and Texas. In December 2015, LCE was acquired by and became a portfolio company of I Squared Capital, through its ISQ Global Infrastructure Fund, and announced plans to deploy $250 million in equity investments through 2018. I Squared Capital is an independent global infrastructure investment manager focusing on energy, utilities, and transport in North America, Europe, and select high growth economies. LCE was acquired by Orsted in 2018 and is now positioned to be the long-term owner of the projects it develops
- LCE successfully developed projects involving over $2 billion in capital investment in some of the largest electricity markets in the US (including Texas, California and New Jersey).
LCE has successfully financed over 800 megawatts of wind projects.
- With over 150 years of combined experience, LCE’s management team has led to the construction of over 4,500 megawatts of clean energy in North America and Europe over the past 10 years.
Apex Clean Energy Company Description
Apex Clean Energy is an independent renewable energy company based in Charlottesville, VA. Since its founding in 2009, Apex has become one of the fastest-growing companies in the industry. In December 2012, Apex completed the development and construction of the 300 megawatts Canadian Hills Wind project outside Oklahoma City. The company has a diversified portfolio of wind energy facilities in development around the country and owns several operating solar PV assets. The company’s management team comprises experts from throughout the industry whose collective prior experience includes the development, financing, construction, and operation of over $10 billion USD in wind and solar energy facilities now operating in the United States.
- Apex Clean Energy boasts 2,867 megawatts clean energy in operations, 5,027 megawatts clean energy financed, and 1,783 megawatts of clean energy under management.
- With 13 facilities complete, Apex has invested over $7B in clean energy opportunities.
- In September 2019, Ares and Apex Announced Renewable PPA with facebook. The contract with Aviator Wind will help the tech company—the largest corporate purchaser of renewable energy in 2018—reach its goal to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 75% and support 100% of its operations with renewable energy in 2020.
“If You Are In Our Industry, You Need This!” — Director of Outside Construction
Pioneer Green Energy Company Description
Pioneer Green Energy is a developer of utility-scale wind and solar projects across the U.S. The company has developed over 800 megawatts of renewable energy projects that are either operating or currently under construction, including 95 megawatts of solar photovoltaic projects. Additionally, its principals have helped develop over 2,700 megawatts of currently operating wind projects owned by leading industry players. Pioneer specializes in bringing to market high-value projects driven by in-depth transmission analysis. The company is based in Austin, Texas.
- To date, Pioneer Green Energy has developed over 1,250 megawatts of clean energy facilities in the United States that are either operating or under construction.
- Pioneer Green Energy’s goal is to serve domestic electric markets with the energy necessary to promote a financially and environmentally sustainable future.
- Pioneer Green Energy’s largest development project in Texas is the Green Pastures Wind I & II in Baylor & Knox counties. This 3000 turbine wind complex has a capacity of 300 megawatts, was acquired by Capital Dynamics in 2013, and went operational in 2015.
7.) SunChase Power
SunChase Power Company Description
SunChase Power LLC is a renewable energy company focused on developing utility-scale and large industrial behind-the-meter solar energy projects. They work with landowners and large industrial electricity users to identify promising locations for profitable solar energy projects and bring those projects to market. SunChase’s management team played key roles in the development of more than 4,000 megawatts of operating renewable energy projects. They bring decades of experience to the development process, including in-depth expertise managing: site selection and acquisition; permitting and environmental due diligence;interconnection analysis and applications; and power purchase agreement negotiations.
- SunChase Power’s management team has over 25 years of combined industry experience and has successfully developed over $3 billion of renewable projects currently in operation in ERCOT, SPP, PJM, NYISO, and Hydro-Québec.
- SunChase Power’s largest potential development to-date is the 500 megawatts planned capacity, Amsterdam Solar Project in Brazoria County, TX; which is scheduled to be under construction by April 2020 and operating by November 2021.
8.) RES Americas
RES Americas Company Description
Since 1997, RES has been providing development, engineering, construction, and operations services to the utility-scale wind, solar, transmission, and energy storage markets across the Americas. The company employs more than 500 full-time professionals and has over 8,000 megawatts of utility-scale renewable energy and energy storage projects and has constructed more than 700 miles of transmission lines throughout the U.S., Canada, and Chile. RES’ U.S. corporate office is located in Broomfield, CO with regional offices located in Austin, TX, Minneapolis, MN, Old Saybrook, CT, and San Francisco, CA.
- The RES Group has developed and/or constructed over 100 wind farms worldwide, with more than 12 gigawatts of capacity. In addition, it has projects on its books totaling several thousand megawatts worldwide, at various stages of development.
- From a project team within Sir Robert McAlpine researching early wind turbine technologies in 1981, RES global portfolio now exceeds 16 gigawatts.
- RES entered the energy storage market in 2010, developing solutions that provide multiple grid services for utilities, independent power producers, and regional transmission organizations. They have since blossomed into an industry leader and were ranked one of the top three energy storage system integrators in a Leaderboard Report, released by Navigant Research, in May 2015. Updated Oct 2019: Top Energy Storage Companies.
- Managing their activities to maximize environmental benefits has led to over 14 million tonnes of CO2 eliminated each year RES operates.
EDF Renewable Energy Company Description
EDF Renewables North America is an independent power producer and service provider specializing in renewable energy. The Company is currently headquartered in San Diego, CA, and offers Grid-Scale Power, Distributed Solutions, and Asset Optimization.
- As the largest provider of third-party O&M in North America, EDF’s O&M team services over 5,230 wind turbines, 45+ different equipment types, and almost 1,970 solar inverters, which generate over 10 gigawatts of electricity.
- As of June 30th, 2019, EDF’s gross installed capacity amounted to 12,468 megawatts worldwide, with net installed capacity standing at 7,971 megawatts and gross capacity under construction at 4,054 megawatts.
- EDF Renewables has over 3,850+ employees, 12+ gigawatts gross installed, 4+ gigawatts gross under-construction and 2018 consolidated revenues of €1,675M ( ≈ $1,826M USD).
10.) Tri Global Energy
Tri Global Energy Company Description
Tri Global Energy (TGE) is a leading developer of wind energy in the U.S. The company is based in Dallas. Founded in 2009, TGE’s goal is to develop clean energy at an affordable cost through the development of wind projects. Additionally, the company has pioneered a unique way to generate local economic benefits through the development of renewable energy projects by partnering with landowners, communities and industry-leading investors. The company develops and owns utility-scale wind and solar projects in Texas, New Mexico, and Nebraska.
- TGE is the leading developer of wind energy in Texas.
- Building on the 6,200 megawatts of wind power projects that are now under development (pre-construction), under construction or in operation, Tri Global Energy is investing in renewable power. Accordingly, TGE’s pledges the following:
- Initiate development of an additional 600-900 megawatts of new utility-scale wind generation projects annually through 2018, not only in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico where TGE’s 15 wind generation projects are located but expanding TGE’s reach to locations across the U.S.
- Transition more than 500 megawatts of additional wind capacity into the construction and operations phase annually through 2018 thus increasing the renewable capacity available for grid integration and electricity usage.
- TGE Wind will continue playing a leading role in the growth of the wind energy industry, which — according to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory — has the potential in the contiguous U. S. to produce more than 10,000 gigawatts of onshore wind power, an amount 9x larger than the nation’s current total electricity consumption.
Source: Energy Acuity Renewable Platform
“Energy Acuity Helps Us Prioritize The Targeting Of Prospects” — Sales Development Manager
Energy Acuity (EA) is the leading provider of power generation and power delivery market intelligence. Founded in 2008, EA was built on the principle that essential energy market research could be conducted and presented more efficiently than the traditional third-party data providers.
EA’s unique approach merges primary research, public resource aggregation, web monitoring and expert analysis that is delivered through a simple, dynamic online platform. This allows our clients to focus on actionable information and win business over the competition.
Eliminate research time and accurately assess the market with Energy Acuity’s Renewables Platform!